4 days Beginner Kayaking Course
This is our standard beginners kayaking course suitable for even those who have never been in a kayak before, or people wanting to brush up on their skills. In four days we will teach you all the basics of whitewater kayaking and leave you feeling confident on Grade II-III waters. Be warned though, if you are a beginner, you need a big sense of adventure and be up for a challenge!! There will be times when you will accidentally go for a swim! But don’t fear, that’s what our expert safety kayakers are there for. Our job is to make you feel as safe as possible whilst learning to kayak in Nepal.
Don’t have time for the full four days trip? Don’t worry, we can do just 1-3 days as well. However the four day course is designed for you to get the most out of your learn to kayak experience.
We run this trip on the Trisuli river from our private tented camp, which in our opinion, is the best place in Nepal to learn (did we mention we have a swimming pool!). There are plenty of sections of the river to chose from to run depending on your ability and it is a nice, wide, exciting, safe river to learn on. We also have a great ‘lake’ right at the front of our camp, which is the perfect place to take your first steps in to the world of whitewater kayaking. Because of this, we can tailor make the trips to your kayaking ability and take things as fast or as slow as needed.
See our detailed itinerary below.
Sorhakhutte Tourist Bus Stand, Thamel, Kathmandu at 6.30am daily
Gurung Valley, our riverside resort. We run a variety of sections of the river
Volume in November : 400cms (1400 cfs)
End of September until June (not July and August due to monsoon high water)
USD $425 / GBP £335 per person
(This is just a suggested itinerary, as people learn at different paces and we will change the sections we paddle depending on your skills). Depart Kathmandu at 6.30am and travel to 3 ½ hours to our camp. Once we arrive, we have a 20 minute walk over a suspension bridge to our camp. Make sure you have a bottle of water with you, as during the monsoon months it can get pretty hot during this walk! We will have a spot of lunch and get to know the staff. After you will be given your equipment and shown how to use it and given a briefing on land before we hit the water. We will then spend the afternoon on a flat section of the river just outside our camp, which is more like a lake than a river – perfect for beginners. We will spend time getting used to being in a kayak, how it feels and learning how to cross the river, building your confidence as we go.
Depending on how you get on here, if there is time, and the river conditions, we will paddle 7km down the river to Manakamana. Here you will encounter some gentle wave trains and Grade II rapids.
You’ll spend the evening enjoying a campfire at our camp. Traditional music and stories round the fire are on the menu for tonight!
- All staff, including highly qualified & licensed Guides and professional Safety Kayakers all fluent in English and holding up to date First Aid Qualifications.
- All camping equipment including toilet tents, shelters, matresses, sleeping bags, tarps, personal tents etc. No additional charge for sleeping bag hire.
- All meals and water whilst on the river. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate and juice will also be provided. Read our FAQ to see what tasty treats we will serve you.
- Transportation to and from the river by bus. (upgrades on transportation are available by request)
- All equipment, including PFD’s, helmets, dry tops, throw bags, dry bags, pelican boxes, wetsuits, paddles, etc all at international standards and regularly checked.
- If you are kayaking with us, kayak hire is also included in the cost. See which kayaks we have here.
- River permits.
- Extensive medical kit.
- Unrelated travel, visas, insurance, travel documents etc…
Items of a personal nature (toiletries, personal medication, clothing, camers…)
- Personal insurance.
- Alcohol and additional snacks.
- Travel insurance. To travel with GRG’s you are required to have adequate insurance for the activity you are participating in, we have the necessary insurance for our crew but you must have your own seperate policy)
- Optional tips for guides.
- Private transportation to your next destination at the end of the trip