GRG Adventure Kayaking; We are whitewater rafting and kayaking specialists and can’t wait to take you on an adventure of a lifetime. We established GRG Adventure Kayaking in early 2009 and decided to pool together our international whitewater rafting, kayaking and canyoning experience to create our company. In this short time, we have become one of the leading white water rafting companies in Nepal. The ultimate aim of establishing GRG’s was to break out of the mold of run of the mill “herd them in herd them out” tour operators and bring a new element to travel in Nepal. We want to provide you with a fun, safe, eco-friendly trip.
GRG stands for Gurung River Guides and you won’t find any other company that is as professional, has as much experience coaching and guiding and is as dedicated to Nepal than us.
We are a small, professional, award winning, local Nepali run company passionate about adventure which means we can give you more time and a more personal, hands on experience. We have lived in Nepal all our lives so we know the best parts to show you and have the kind of knowledge that cannot be found in a guidebook (although you will find us in the Lonely Planet!)
The well known Maila Gurung is the driving force behind GRG’s. After working as a safety kayaker and raft guide for 20 years Maila has all the skills you could want in a river guide. Maila dreamt of opening up his own company to create more jobs for Nepali’s and offer better training and support in the whitewater industry and in 2009 he did just that! Having won the National Kayak Championships many times …who better to take you out on the Nepali rivers!
Maila has worked & paddled in Nepal, India, England, USA and Switzerland as an outdoor guide and has recently worked as guest coach for the World Class Academy.
Growing up along side the Trisuli river has taught Maila everything he needs to know about running rivers and giving him valuable local knowledge. He has his raft guide qualifications, is NARA licensed, WRT (Whitewater Rescue Technician), SRT (Swift Water Rescue), Grade IV/V Trip Leader from the IRF and CPR/First Aid qualifications and is recommended by travel specialists KimKim.
He is also the owner of Gurung Valley, a new riverside camp on the Trisuli river
- 2000 First All Nepali Kayak Racing Competition – 2nd Runner Up.
- 2006 All India Open Whitewater Rafting and Kayaking Championships marathon and sprint.
- 2007 Himalayan Whitewater Festival Kayaking and Rafting Challenge – Winner
- 1st National Rafting Championship 2008
- Max New York Life Insurance Marathon Whitewater Kayaking.
- 2008 Himalayan Whitewater Festival Kayaking and Rafting Challenge – Winner
- 2009 (2065 Nepali) Pokhara Street Festival Lake Marathon Race – 3rd Place
- 2009 Himalayan Whitewater Festival Kayaking and Rafting Challenge – Winner
- 2010 Himalayan Whitewater Festival Kayaking and Rafting Challenge – Second
- 2012 – Guest Kayak Coach for the World Class Kayak Academy
- 2013 – Article about Maila in ThePaddler Magazine
- Dec 2013 – Awarded Grade IV/V Trip Leader from the International Rafting Federation.
- Dec 2013 – Coached at a ICF Slalom Development Camp for Women on the Belephi River.
- Jan 2014 – ICF Slalom Training
- 2016 – Guest Kayak Coach for World Class Kayak Academy